When you import contacts into Command using the Command Contact Import Template, sometimes you might find that the whole import failed, or you might see that a few of the contacts didn't import, while others did.
- Learn how to import contacts into Command
This could be caused by a number of reasons, which is why we built the Import Log settings page into Command. This page shows you a high-level view of the number of contacts that imported and failed, with links to download an error report and the original import file.
- If you made any changes to any of the columns, when you added your contacts to the Command Contact Import Template, none of the contacts will import. Ensure that you only add to the spreadsheet, don't move, delete, or edit any of the column headers.
- If you try to import a contact that has the same email address or phone number (work phone is excluded from this) as a contact that already exists in your database, that contact will not import.
- If you archived a contact, but did not fully delete it, you will not be able to import that contact in Command. Ensure that you archive and delete a contact, if you want to import it into Command.
To access and use the Import Log in Command:
1. Log in to https://agent.kw.com with your KW login credentials.
2. Click your name, at the top right of the page, and choose Settings from the drop-down.
3. On the left side of the page, click Command Settings, then My Logs, and choose Imports.
If you have recently imported a contact list into Command, there is an easier way to access the Import Log:
1. You will need to refresh the page, after importing.
2. Click the Command Notifications icon, , at the top right of the page.
3. When your import is complete, a notification will appear. Click Tap to download csv file to access the Import Log.
Date Started - this is the date and time that you started the import.
Date Completed - this is the date and time that the import finished bringing contacts into your database.
Contacts Imported - this shows the number of contacts that were successfully imported.
Contacts Failed - this shows the number of contacts that failed to import.
Original File - click Download to download the original file that you used to import the list of contacts. You can use this file to correct any errors that you find in the Error File (see #6). You can then re-import the list of contacts, after removing the agents who successfully imported, to get all of the contacts into Command.
Error File - click Download to download a report of the contacts that failed to import. Each contact that failed will appear in the downloaded spreadsheet, along with the contact details entered and the reason it failed. Reference the error message to make corrections and re-import the failed contacts.
When you download and open the error file, you will see all of the contacts that failed to import, in the same format you imported them, but at the far right of the spreadsheet you will see new columns that will show errors that caused specific contacts not to import:
The most common errors are the following:
Duplicate Primary Emails: This error will say that either the email already exists in database or that it is a duplicate of one in the import file. If the primary email is already connected to an existing contact you cannot import a contact with that same primary email as this is how the system prevents duplicates. If you have two contacts in the import file with the same primary email, the first will import and the second will not as the other contact has the email. So that is where you would get the duplicate in file error.
Duplicate Primary Phones: This is the same situation as the primary email, see above. You cannot have the same primary phone on two contacts.
Validation Error: This error will say must be valid phone or email. If you see this error check the contact in that row to correct the phone or email. For example, you may have missed a number in the phone number causing it to be too short to be valid.
Correct the issues found:
Now that you know what the errors are for each contact, you can make the needed changes. You will need to download a new import template. Then transpose the contacts that had errors into the new file, making the changes to each. Such as correcting emails, phone numbers, etc. Then save the file with a new name (as the same file name cannot be imported more than once) and import. Now all your contacts should successfully be imported!