Google is planning to sunset Google Hangouts. They are replacing Hangouts with Google Chat and Google Meet. Learn more about the difference between Google Hangouts and Chat/Meet.
You will notice that our @KW.com Google accounts have already made this transition, though the impact is very small.
- If someone you were communicating with, in Hangouts, sends you a message, that message will appear in Google Chat.
- If someone sends a video call through Hangouts, you will be able to access through Google Meet.
- With the transition, all of your previous Google Hangout conversations have been migrated over to Google Chat, so you shouldn't miss anything.
- If you were previously using the Google Hangouts integration in Gmail, you will now see this switched over to Chat, though you can turn this off in Gmail Settings.
The most important thing to remember is, if you were using the Google Hangouts app on either your phone or desktop, you must delete the app and download the Google Chat app in its place. We mentioned above that a message sent from either Google Hangouts or Chat will go to both platforms, so you could receive multiple notifications for each message you receive.
- Learn more about switching to Google Chat.
- Get started with Google Chat.
- Google Chat Tips: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced.
Please sign in to leave a comment.